Hydrogen as a storage medium
Power-to-gas Roadmap study
The "Power-to-Gas" study project, funded by the Flemish Government and Flanders Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VLAIO), included the implementation of a roadmap study. With leading Flemish industrial partners, the various technology and valorisation processes in the field of 'Power-to-Gas' for Flanders were mapped for the period 2014-2020. An exercise that was closely linked to the European timeline of Horizon 2020 and the ambitions of the FCH-JU (Fuel Cells & Hydrogen Joint Undertaking).
In the roadmap study a number of different power-to-gas options have been analyzed for economic feasibility and it has been determined how the Flemish industry can play a strong role in this future market.
Crucial in the power-to-gas concept is the way in which the hydrogen produced can best be valorised. The following processes were investigated:
- injection into the existing natural gas network or hydrogen network
- create electricity via a fuel cell
- supply to hydrogen filling stations for vehicles
- convert it to synthetic methane with CO
The roadmap study 'Power-to-Gas' for Flanders aimed to:
- Defining business models per valorisation process
- Formulating development perspectives (technological / economic) per valorisation process for 2014–2020 and a look ahead to 2020–2050
- Translating the results into a Flemish program on "smart specialization" in line with European ambitions
- The inventory of legal aspects, barriers and requires support for implementation
- Defining the value chain with concrete implementation by companies of business clusters for this market per valorisation process
Waterstof Industrie Cluster
The Hydrogen Industry Cluster (previously called 'Power-to-Gas' business cluster) was established as a result of the 'Power-to-gas' roadmap study. WaterstofNet is the initiator and coordinates the cluster operation.
More info about the 'Waterstof Industrie Cluster'